MPC-CMP is the most secure protocol to hold and transfer digital assets. While this protocol has been enabled for some Fireblocks users, starting December 2021, Fireblocks will gradually enable MPC-CMP for all users who can sign transactions. This applies to users with an Owner, Admin, or Signer user role.
Additional information and FAQs can be found here.
Update: MPC-CMP has been the default for all new Fireblocks customers since December 2021 and was fully enabled for all existing Fireblocks customers by February 2022.
Updating the Fireblocks mobile app
In order to update the Fireblocks mobile app, take the following steps:
- Make sure your Fireblocks mobile app is up to date using your device settings.
Updating your app guarantees migration to MPC-CMP beginning with version 1.76 for IOS devices issued on December 14, 2021, or version 1.0.34 for Android devices issued on December 13, 2021.
For the most complete, compatible, and stable version, Fireblocks recommends enabling automatic app updates. More information about enabling automatic updates can be found in the official documentation:
- A new request labeled “Finish App Update” will appear in your device notifications and in your Fireblocks mobile app. Select Open to verify and complete the update.
- Fireblocks is gradually rolling out this in-app request. Users with an updated mobile app should expect to receive this request between December 2021 and January 2022.
- Each user linked to your Fireblocks mobile app receives this request separately. Because Fireblocks is rolling out this update gradually, each linked user may receive this request at separate times. In most cases, Fireblocks updates all users that are part of the same workspace at the same time. In order to see all linked users in your Fireblocks app, go to Settings > Linked Users.
- Some Fireblocks users are already using MPC-CMP. This includes some new users or some of the users that joined a new workspace after December 12, 2021. In this case, their keys have already been generated using MPC-CMP. They are not due to receive a request to finish the app update and may skip the rest of the steps in this article.
- Click Verify identity in order to re-generate your key share with MPC-CMP and continue.
- Enter your Fireblocks app passcode to confirm.
- Confirm the request for biometric authentication. Use either your fingerprint or face identification depending on your mobile device to continue.
- The Fireblocks app requests your recovery passphrase to proceed. This is the recovery passphrase that you set when you linked your mobile app to your workspace (see: User Setup). If you forgot your recovery passphrase, you can generate a new passphrase at this step.
- You will receive confirmation that the update is complete and your key share is now protected using MPC-CMP.
Mobile user FAQ
Does the “Finish App Update” request block me from signing transactions, adding users, or any other functionality until finishing the app update?
No. You can defer finishing the app update by swiping the Finish App Update request card to the left and handling other requests on your mobile screen. In this case, your transactions will be signed successfully using the legacy MPC implementation of Gennaro and Goldfeder protocol (GG18). The “Finish App Update” request does not have an expiration date and you may complete it at any time.
I received the “Finish App Update” request. How long should it take to re-generate the key share?
Re-generating your Fireblocks key share should take less than 1 minute.
What if I forgot my recovery passphrase?
You can select Forgot Passphrase? and create a new recovery passphrase when requested to enter your recovery passphrase during the update.
Note: Users with role Owner who change their mobile recovery passphrase must still remember their existing mobile recovery passphrase for workspace keys recovery. In case the owner users forgot their mobile recovery passphrase, they should contact Fireblocks Support.
I received the “Finish App Update” notification, selected Open, started verification, and then my phone lost power and shut itself down. Will I be able to recover this process?
You will be able to complete this app update after powering up your mobile device by doing the following:
- Open Fireblocks mobile app
- Select Settings > Linked Users
- A Complete Setup button should be next to every linked user with an incomplete app update. Click this button when you are ready to complete the update.
- Fireblocks will ask you to complete the steps that were not previously finished. If all steps were entered and the app has not completed the migration to Fireblocks MPC-CMP, you are asked to re-enter your recovery passphrase.
Why did I receive the “Finish App Update” request more than once?
If there are multiple users linked to your Fireblocks mobile app, you will receive this request for each linked user. Because Fireblocks is gradually rolling out this update, some linked users may receive this request at different times than other linked users on the same device. In most cases, Fireblocks updates all users that are part of the same workspace at the same time. To see all users linked to your Fireblocks mobile app, select Settings > Linked Users.
Why did I receive two requests on my Fireblocks mobile app: Complete MPC Setup and Finish App Update?
In most cases, you should only receive one of these requests.
Complete MPC Setup happens after the workspace owner approves signing privileges for your mobile device. Typically this happens when pairing a new mobile device to a workspace.
Finish App Update happens after Fireblocks enables MPC-CMP for existing users.
There is one rare case in which you will receive both of these requests one after another. This happens when:
- Fireblocks enables MPC-CMP for all members of a workspace.
- The workspace owner receives a Finish App Update request and Approve Signing Privileges request and approves the signing privileges first.
In this case, users receive a Complete MPC Setup request followed by a Finish App Update request.