The Admin Quorum lists all users with Admin privileges (users assigned to either an Owner, Admin, or Non-Signing Admin role). The Admin Quorum threshold defines the number of Admins required to approve new workspace connections and changes. Any Admin can deny a request to reject it before the threshold is met. Activities that require Admin Quorum approval include:
- Whitelisting addresses
- New Fireblocks Network connections
- New exchange accounts
- Other external destination addresses
- Adding new workspace users
- Other workspace configuration changes
Only Admin users who have completed onboarding and who show as under Status in your Fireblocks Console user list (Settings > Users) count toward the quorum. Admins show as Ready after they pair their mobile device to their workspace account and they can approve requests.
A workspace with a quorum of six Admin users sets an Admin Quorum threshold of three.
- A user submits a request to whitelist an address.
- The six Admin users receive an approval notification on their Fireblocks app.
- If at least three of them approve before anyone denies it, the request is approved.
- If any Admin denies the request before the threshold is met, the address will be rejected.
Changing the Admin Quorum threshold
If this functionality is not enabled on your workspace, please submit a request to Support.
- Select Settings at the top right of your Console.
- Select Change quorum threshold under Admin Quorum in the General tab.
- Submit your new Admin Quorum threshold.
- All: Dynamically requires all active Admin users to approve to meet the threshold.
- A number: Always requires the selected number of Admins to meet the threshold. If at any point, the total number of active Admins in your workspace falls below that number, you must contact Support to make further workspace changes.
The default Admin Quorum threshold when your workspace is first created is a quorum threshold of all Admins. At that time, your workspace Owner is the only active user. After the Owner creates other Admin users, any Admin can submit a request to change the quorum if you want to reduce the quorum threshold from all Admins to only a specific subset of Admins.
- Select Change Quorum Threshold to confirm.
- The current Admin Quorum will receive a notification to approve the change.
- Your current Admin Quorum threshold remains unchanged until the new threshold is approved.
- Any outstanding requests only require the threshold that was active when they were submitted.
- Both your Admin Quorum and Owner must approve the change.
Changing the Admin Quorum threshold: API Admins
The below description is only relevant for workspaces with automated API Admin users.
If you have active API Admin users (API Admin or API Non-Signing Admin) in your workspace, note that their approval is automatic for Admin Quorum change requests. Your workspace Owner should consider this when adding Admin users to your workspace. For example:
- If the first two Admins your Owner adds to your workspace are one (human) Admin and one API Admin:
- An Admin Quorum threshold of two should be your minimum setting after. Otherwise, if your threshold is only one, the API Admin will automatically approve without any human approvers.
- If the first two Admins your Owner adds to your workspace are two human Admins (non-API):
- You have the option to set an Admin Quorum threshold of one or two. Both threshold settings will have the desired effect since neither Admin's approval is automatic.
Effectively, having API Admins in your workspace reduces your quorum by one Admin when it comes to updating your Admin Quorum. Your Owner should consider this when setting up new Admin users to ensure your threshold setting has its desired effect.