This article shows you how to perform the setup process for a first-time Fireblocks user.
- Users with roles that can approve transactions must pair their mobile devices with the appropriate workspace.
- Users with roles that can sign transactions must pair their mobile devices with the appropriate workspace and have their MPC key share requests approved by the workspace Owner.
- The workspace is not accessible by anyone until the workspace Owner completes the setup process.
- Deleting the Fireblocks mobile app or changing your device's biometric settings at any point after you pair your device with a workspace will revoke your ability to sign transactions. Unless instructed to do so by Fireblocks Support, do not delete the Fireblocks mobile app or change your mobile device's biometric settings.
Accepting the workspace invitation
Check your inbox for an email containing a workspace invitation. In that email, select Join Workspace to begin the setup process.
To sign up for Fireblocks:
- On the login page, select the Sign Up tab.
- If the email address at which you received your workspace invitation is also your Google account or Microsoft account email address, use the applicable Single Sign-On (SSO) method. Otherwise, enter your email address and password in the fields below.
- Select Sign Up.
Setting up Two-Factor Authentication
To set up Two-Factor Authentication (2FA):
- Use an authenticator app on your mobile device to scan the onscreen QR code. Learn more about setting up 2FA.
- Enter the corresponding 2FA code.
- Select the arrow.
Users with the Editor or Viewer roles have completed the setup process. Users with the Admin, Non-Signing Admin, Signer, or Approver roles must continue with the following sections.
Pairing the Fireblocks mobile app with your workspace
Only users with the Owner, Admin, Non-Signing Admin, Signer, and Approver roles need to complete the following steps.
To pair the Fireblocks mobile app with your workspace:
- Verify your mobile device meets the minimum requirements. Additionally, if you haven't already, configure your device's biometric authentication with your fingerprint or face ID.
- Download the Fireblocks mobile app from Google Play or the Apple App Store.
- Use the Fireblocks mobile app to scan the onscreen QR code in your Fireblocks Console. This pairs the device with your workspace. If you do not see a QR code in your Fireblocks Console, please log out of the Console and log in again and you should see the QR code appear.
- Follow the setup instructions on your mobile device.
- Allow the Fireblocks mobile app to use the device's biometric authentication.
- Enter the six-digit PIN code you want to use for authorization. We recommend you write down your six-digit PIN code and keep it in a secure place, separate from your mobile device.
You can now use your Fireblocks mobile app for workspace approvals.
Completing the MPC key share setup
Only users with the Owner, Admin, and Signer roles need to complete the following steps.
Your MPC key shares are required to sign transactions. Learn more about MPC key shares.
Owner MPC key generation
The workspace Owner's MPC keys are automatically generated. No additional action is required. Note that one of your key shares is stored on your mobile device.
However, the Owner must approve the requests to generate MPC keys for users with the Admin and Signer roles. The Owner must approve these requests from their Fireblocks mobile app within 48 hours.
To approve these requests, tap View on the notification and then Approve on the following page. To deny a request, tap Deny.
When an Owner has pending requests, an orange key badge appears on the Settings button in their Fireblocks mobile app.
When the Owner taps Linked users, a pop-up window shows the time remaining for key approval requests.
Admin and Signer MPC key generation
Users with the Admin and Signer roles must request to have their MPC key shares generated. The workspace Owner must approve these requests on their Fireblocks mobile app within 48 hours.
If the request expires, you can resubmit your request from the Fireblocks mobile app. To resubmit your key approval request, tap Settings > Linked users > [Your name] More Actions (...) > Resend request.
After the Owner approves your request, your MPC keys are automatically generated for you. Note that one of your key shares is stored on your mobile device.
Setting a recovery passphrase
Only users with the Owner, Admin, and Signer roles need to complete the following step.
After your MPC keys are generated, you must set a recovery passphrase. You use this recovery passphrase to recover the MPC key share stored on your signing device. We recommend you write down your recovery passphrase and keep it in a secure place, separate from your mobile device.
After you enter a recovery passphrase, tap Done. You can now use your device to sign transactions.